Curious me strikes again.
A month ago, I bought a few lemons from the supermarket. If I remember correctly, they were Turkish lemons, with a nice, soft skin. The supermarket had the usual offer – buy one for this price, and a few for a nice price. Of course I opted for the nice price. And of course I didn’t use up the lemons fast enough. Unfortunately, the soft skin of these lemons got mouldy fast, even in the refrigerator, and while I was cutting away the mouldy sections, I realised that the seeds looked nice and plump, and were practically begging to be sown in some soil. So, I obliged them.
Three or four dry, hazy weeks later, we have these:
I quickly racked my memory to remember if I had reused this pot or not, because the sprouts looked a little like winged bean sprouts, then I remembered that I had deliberately used new potting mix bought from my last trip to the plant nursery. Besides, a closer look showed the leaves to be different:
I’m sure if I could bring myself to slightly bruise the leaves, they’d give off a lemony scent to confirm their identity, but they’re too precious to me to try that yet.
This is another experiment in the making for me, because I have this idea that lemon plants won’t grow in our climate. Stay tuned.