It wasn’t my intention to try growing the Hami melon plant from a cutting, but when misfortune struck the plant in the form of the wind snapping the plant’s stem, I decided to sever the broken part from the rest of the plant to give it a chance to recover.
Since I hate to discard my plants unnecessarily, I decided to stick the broken-off bit in soil to see if it would grow.
It did, and I’d like to show you the good root system it has managed to grow!
This melon – in fact, any melon – is unfamiliar to me except as a fruit sold in the market or supermarket, so I’m still tentative with its growing conditions. However, now that I have two plants instead of just one, I can experiment by growing one in a pot and the other in the garden, somewhere. There are still so many things that could go wrong in growing this, but at least I now have two “birds in the hand” rather than one!